Wednesday, June 30, 2010

a hairy tale.

it's truly amazing: the details of dates that we don't actually disclose until we know the situation is going no where.
so here it is.
i met a guy on an airplane. it seemed like a totally cute meet...two people, relatively the same age, laughing and talking for hours on a plane. we dove into conversation about everything. it was fun and emotional and intimate. i mean, we were practically on each other's laps for 2 hours. and when we landed and exited said plane, we said goodbye. But then, he turned back, called my name, asked for my number. i agreed. i mean, who wouldn't. the idea of meeting a guy on an airplane is amazing...sure, he wasn't that cute, but the conversation was good, and he seemed relatively safe but at the same time fun. and let's face it, at this point, i craved a perfect combination of fun and safe. so i gave it up; my number that is, and much to my surprise, he called.
airplane and i went out for dinner and then drinks afterwards. halfway through the date, he asked if i would say yes to a second date. again, i agreed, and again, i mean, why not. he was still safe and still fun, and the conversation was amazing.
we didn't talk for a few days, and when we did, i knew it was over.
so here it is: the weird detail that i wouldn't disclose until i knew we would never go on that second date.
when airplane dropped me off, he walked me to the door. earlier in the night, i had looked frantically for a rubber band, and he had told me to stop. that my hair looked fine. i replied, that my hair was longer than normal, and it was such a hot night that it was driving me crazy; i just needed to put it up. he said, a little forcefully, to leave it because it already looked perfect. as we reached my door, he leaned in for a kiss; i reciprocated. it was kind of an amazing kiss: a rebound, a breath of fresh air, a cute meet that actually led to a fun date which ended with a kiss at my front door. and then, he leaned in and whispered into my ear, i don't think you should cut your hair. i asked why (mind you, this was casually mid-kiss), and he replied, "because then i can't play with it anymore. i love the idea of running my fingers through your hair forever. i love how soft and smooth it is, and how amazing it feels slipping through my fingers. it's so soft, i can't believe it."
that was when airplane became unsafe, casually awkward, and kind of creepy. he ruined my perfectly safe date and made it creepy and weird. he turned an end of the night innocent kiss into a full on fetish fantasy. i knew then that journeying into future dates with airplanes would really only lead to a hairy tale, not the fairy tale previously imagined during our cute meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment